Many people begin to think more about death and the afterlife as they get older and approach their final years. Whether they are spiritual or not, it’s natural to fear our own mortality. What is a chaplaincy program, and how can it help? A chaplaincy program benefits seniors who want spiritual or religious guidance during their sunset years. It also provides support for families and caregivers who work closely with seniors.
At Baptist Retirement Community, we offer a chaplaincy program for seniors in San Angelo, TX, as part of our resident programs. Our full-time chaplain provides spiritual comfort when necessary through group activities and weekly sermons. Call 325.313.7931 today to speak with our staff to learn more about a chaplaincy program.
What is a Chaplaincy Program?
A chaplaincy program provides spiritual or religious comfort through weekly sermons, group discussions, and private talks to seniors and staff at a senior living community. Instead of driving to church every week or waiting for a chaplain to come to visit, seniors can meet with the chaplain in their rooms privately or with others in the community for a meaningful discussion.
Chaplains also provide a valuable service for staff at a senior living community. Nurses and medical staff work closely with residents and often form close relationships. This can make it especially difficult for them when seniors are in pain or after they pass. A chaplaincy program can:
- Provide grief support after the loss of a resident to staff and family
- Meet one-on-one with staff for private discussions
- Help prevent caregiver burnout
- Reinforce religious beliefs to support their mental and spiritual health
Often, staff will participate in sermons and group discussions with residents for religious or spiritual support. At Baptist Retirement Community, our chaplaincy program is just one part of the services we provide our residents so they can have everything they need for a comfortable and enriching retirement.
What to Expect from a Chaplaincy Program
There are many benefits to living in a senior living community that provides a full-time chaplain for religious or spiritual health. Even those residents who are not religious can find comfort and companionship through the services they offer. Here is what to expect from a chaplaincy program:
- Chaplains will meet with residents and staff through weekly sermons and group discussions. They help build morale and lift the spirits of residents and the staff that support them. Therefore, senior living communities with a full-time chaplain find their residents and staff are much happier and have a closer connection to everyone in the community.
- Chaplains can provide support for seniors through private discussions to read scripture or talk about death and what to expect. Seniors can also discuss any unresolved issues and ask to pass along messages to their families after they depart.
- When the end is near, chaplains will sit with residents and their families and read scripture or other readings that give them comfort. Furthermore, they help family members cope with their feelings over the loss of a parent. They also help plan funeral arrangements as well as to conduct the service or simply be there for the family.
Baptist Retirement Community: Compassionate Chaplaincy Program for Residents, Staff, and Families in San Angelo, TX
At Baptist Retirement Community, our faith-based senior living community provides a full-time chaplaincy program for seniors in San Angelo, TX. Our chaplaincy program is just one aspect of our resident programs that we provide our residents to keep them physically, mentally, and spiritually healthy. Our resident programs include:
- Chaplaincy program
- Lifestyles coordinator
- Health and wellness professionals
- Culinary experts
To answer your questions about what is a chaplaincy program, call 325.313.7931 today to speak with our knowledgeable staff and learn how our senior living community can benefit your retirement.