Why should seniors socialize? Humans are social creatures by nature. We crave companionship. In fact, research shows that seniors who are isolated and alone are at an increased risk of developing serious mental and physical health conditions. Talking over the phone or through a video chat with a friend or loved one on a daily basis can be very beneficial to seniors who do not have daily contact with other people. To help seniors socialize with others, many senior living communities provide group outings to help keep their residents physically and mentally active.
At Baptist Retirement Community, we know the importance of socializing for seniors. We also realize the many health benefits that it gives them. Therefore, our activities director plans weekly group outings and activities that seniors can participate in at their leisure. We also provide fun game nights, book clubs, and other activities that promote social engagement. To learn how our senior living community can benefit your retirement, call 833.762.0756 today for more information about the importance of socializing in senior living.
Why Should Seniors Socialize?
For seniors, socializing with others is proven to be one of the most beneficial ways to improve their mental and physical health. Socializing will not only keep their minds active, but it can also help promote better physical health as well. Socially active seniors are more likely to participate in physical activities with friends, such as walking and yoga, which can help improve their physical health. They are also more likely to go out more and meet new people, which can be very mentally stimulating.
Seniors who are living alone and lead a sedentary life are more likely to experience the following medical conditions:
- Coronary artery disease
- Cardiac failure
- Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia
At Baptist Retirement Community, we understand why seniors should socialize. Therefore, we provide plenty of activities that give our residents the chance to do so as much as they want. We offer fun social parties like monthly potlucks and our annual Fish Fry. In addition, there are mentally engaging activities happening throughout the month.
Health Benefits of Socializing for Seniors
Having a fun social life is important for every age. This is especially true for seniors who live alone or are isolated from friends and family. A senior living community can give seniors access to activities, classes, and social events that can greatly benefit their retirement. Here are five health benefits of socializing for seniors:
- A sense of belonging – Living alone can make seniors feel disconnected from society and have a negative impact on their physical and mental health. It is important for seniors to feel connected and have easy access to others to be healthy and happy.
- A longer lifespan – Research shows that seniors who are actively social every day live longer with fewer mental and physical health problems.
- Improved overall mental health – Depression is a common symptom in seniors who are living alone. If they do not participate in social activities to improve their mood, it can significantly reduce their mental well-being.
- A purpose for living – Having something to look forward to each day helps get most people out of bed in the morning. Seniors need to have activities and something to do each day to maintain a happy and healthy life.
- A happier retirement – Spending your golden years with your friends is the best way to enjoy your retirement. Seniors can lead long and healthy lives when surrounded by friends and loved ones.
Baptist Retirement Community Understands the Importance of Socializing for Seniors
At Baptist Retirement Community, we provide our residents with group outings and fun social activities within the community. Seniors can participate in arts and crafts, exercise programs, computer classes, book clubs, and other daily activities that will give them plenty of socializing time. Call 833.762.0756 today to schedule a tour to see how our senior living community can benefit your retirement with lots of fun social activities.