As we age, it’s normal for seniors to begin experiencing memory loss and a steady decline in cognitive ability. Fortunately, seniors can stay mentally sharp by simply engaging in social activities and continuing to learn new things. Seniors can do plenty of things to keep their minds sharp and keep some common age-related mental problems from worsening. Educational programs for seniors will help keep their minds active so they can fully enjoy their golden years.
At Baptist Retirement Community, we offer several cognitive activities for seniors in our senior living community. For example, they can participate in various activities to learn a new skill like playing an instrument, taking a computer class, or participating in an arts and craft program. We offer many stimulating activities and social outings that are very beneficial to their mental health. Continue reading to learn beneficial things seniors can do to keep their minds sharp, then call 325.313.7931 to see how our senior living community can help them enjoy their golden years.
Why is it Important to Keep Your Mind Sharp as you Age?
Our brains need exercise just like our bodies do, even more so as we age. Research suggests that cognitive decline can begin as early as 45 years of age for men and women. Those who lead a more sedentary life where they spend most of their free time watching TV will experience memory problems earlier on than those who engage their minds through education, social events, or simply reading a book throughout their lives.
Some of the common signs of cognitive decline include:
- Forgetting things more often
- Losing your train of thought when speaking, reading books, or watching a movie
- Feeling overwhelmed when making decisions
- Increasingly poor judgment for everyday situations
- Changes in mood and behavior
At Buckner Retirement Community, we provide memory care services for seniors affected by cognitive decline, dementia or Alzheimer’s disease. We also provide plenty of activities, services, and other things seniors can do to keep their minds sharp, including many social activities and educational programs.
Tips for Seniors to Keep Their Minds Sharp
There are many beneficial cognitive activities for seniors that can keep their minds active throughout their golden years. If they are already experiencing significant mental decline, they can still improve their mental health by participating in some mentally engaging activities.
Here are a few tips for seniors to keep their minds sharp:
- Participate in regular physical activity. Physical activity will get their heart pumping and increase blood flow to the brain. As a result it’s easier to maintain mental health. Activities like walking and yoga are easy on the body and are a great form of exercise seniors can do daily.
- Eat a healthy diet. Certain foods like salmon, nuts, and berries have been shown to be very beneficial for mental health. Reducing your sugar intake can also stimulate the mind.
- Make reading and writing a daily habit. Studies show that seniors who actively read and write daily reduce the rate of mental decline by 32%. For example, writing in a journal every day is very mentally healthy. And reading is much more mind-engaging than watching TV.
- Get plenty of sleep. Getting a good night’s sleep gives your body time to recover and heal. Many seniors struggle to get a full eight hours of sleep each night, which can significantly reduce their cognitive abilities.
Baptist Retirement Community Offers Educational Programs and Other Things Seniors Can do to Keep Their Minds Sharp
At Baptist Retirement Community, we provide our residents with plenty of tips for seniors to keep their minds sharp. We offer recreational and educational programs for seniors, such as:
- Arts and crafts
- Computer classes
- Music lessons
- Exercise programs
- Cooking demonstrations
- Wellness programs
Call 325.313.7931 today to speak with our friendly staff about how we can improve your mental health through our cognitive activities for seniors.