Being able to drive a car is a great responsibility and gives you the freedom to go wherever you need. For seniors, driving can become difficult as they get older and their vision and reaction times diminish. There are plenty of signs a senior should stop driving, and talking to them about it can potentially stop them from hurting themselves or others. Community life at Baptist retirement offers transportation services for seniors and other beneficial programs to make their golden years more enjoyable.
At Baptist Retirement Community, we provide our residents with various floorplan options for studio, one, and two-bedroom apartments to enjoy their retirement in comfort. We offer a full range of amenities and services such as an activities director, clergypersons for religious guidance, and much more. If you are concerned about your parent’s happiness and safety, call 833.762.0756 today for more information about our community life at Baptist Retirement.
Senior Parents and Unsafe Driving
Everyone will reach a point where they are unable to drive due to various health reasons or physical limitations. When this happens, it can be difficult to convince some seniors that stopping driving is the safest thing for them to do before they cause an accident and hurt themselves or others. Thousands of seniors are hurt or killed each year in car accidents where they should not have been driving.
Some of the warning signs that your parents are unsafe behind the wheel include:
- Getting lost going to a familiar location
- A friend or family member calls about their poor driving
- Has nearly hit a pedestrian at a stop sign or intersection
Seniors giving up their license to drive can be a difficult subject to bring up. At Baptist Retirement Community, we can show your parents the benefits of living in our senior living community and how they will no longer have to drive. We offer transportation services and other amenities for seniors to lead a full and active retirement.
Signs a Senior Should Stop Driving
Getting seniors to stop driving can be very frustrating if they are afraid that they will lose their freedom and have to rely on family and friends. No one wants to be a burden on others, and that’s why Baptist Retirement Community provides everything seniors need to relax and enjoy their sunset years.
If you are concerned that your parents are becoming unsafe drivers, here are some of the signs a senior should stop driving:
- You notice fresh scraps or dents in their car that they cannot explain and don’t remember it happening
- Riding in the car while they are driving causes you to panic or feel worried
- They step on the gas pedal instead of the brake
- Unable to read nearby road signs
- Running red lights because they do not see it change or can’t react fast enough
- Getting startled by horns or other road noise
- Unable to keep a steady speed while driving
- Losing focus or becoming confused while driving
Baptist Retirement Community Provides Transportation and Other Services to Benefit Your Retirement
At Baptist Retirement Community, we can help families talk with their senior parents about their unsafe driving habits. Your parents can come to visit our senior living community and learn about all of the services and amenities we offer, such as:
- Transportation services
- Spacious apartments and private rooms
- Nutritious meals and snacks from our culinary team
- Recreational and educational programs
- Housekeeping and laundry services
- A luxury spa and beauty salon/barber shop
- Planned group activities outside the community
Seniors will have everything they need at their doorstep and no longer need to drive to visit friends or run errands. If you are interested in learning more about our senior living community, call 833.762.0756 or fill out our online assessment today.