What are the reasons for long-term skilled nursing care? Many people need more care than an at-home care provider can handle. Long-term skilled nursing care can provide daily living assistance and quality medical services for seniors who need 24/7 assistance. Long-term nursing care facilities can handle the complexities of aging and provides residents with a comfortable and secure environment to enjoy their sunset years.
At Baptist Retirement Community, we work with seniors of all activity levels at our full-service senior living community in San Angelo, TX. During a tour of our facility, we will discuss our services. We will also review the type of care you or your parents seek. Each of our residents receives an individualized treatment plan adaptable to accommodate their changing health needs. If you want to speak with us about our long-term skilled nursing care services, call 325.313.7931 today to schedule a tour and meet our compassionate team.
Reasons for Long-Term Skilled Nursing Care
There are several reasons why senior adults need long-term skilled nursing care. This program supports seniors who:
- Have experienced a medical event such as a heart attack or stroke
- Have been in a car accident
- Are recovering from surgery
- Have cognitive or physical disabilities
- Need 24-hour medical care due to serious conditions
- Experience difficulty with daily activities such as walking, bathing, and eating
- Need mobility assistance, physical therapy, and occupational therapy
- Are in hospice care
It’s important to note that long-term nursing care is not the same as assisted living. Assisted living facilities provide help with daily activities but do not typically offer medical care. Long-term skilled nursing care, on the other hand, provides residents with around-the-clock medical care and assistance with daily tasks.
What Long-Termed Skilled Nursing Care Offers
Long-term skilled nursing care provides several services and amenities for seniors in a comfortable and secure community. Seniors will have access to 24/7 support from professional RNs and medical staff, including full-time physical, occupational, and speech therapists. Other beneficial amenities include:
- Daily housekeeping and laundry services
- Socializing opportunities with other seniors
- Daily life-enriching activities
- Transportation services
- Nutritious meal plans that consider dietary and medical restrictions
Baptist Retirement Community welcomes seniors who need round-the-clock care from a long-term skilled nursing program. During admissions, we will go over the type of care seniors need and develop a tailored program that treats all aspects of their condition.
Recognizing When You Need Long-Term Care with Skilled Nursing
Recognizing when your elderly parents need long-term care can be challenging to tell, especially if they don’t have a sudden change in their health or another medical emergency. Sometimes the signs are small and may not mean much until you look at their overall health and ability to care for themselves.
Some of the common signs that it is time for a long-term skilled nursing care program include:
- They have more trouble making it to the bathroom, forget to shower or bath regularly, or miss taking scheduled medications.
- They cannot properly change bandages or follow instructions for IV care or other medical needs.
- Home care and housecleaning duties are being neglected because they cannot care for the home on their own.
- They don’t keep up with therapeutic exercises or regularly miss PT or doctor appointments.
- Driving becomes dangerous, and they frequently get lost driving to doctor’s appointments, grocery stores, or other familiar places.
- They wander away from home and don’t know how they got there.
Enrolling in Long-term care with skilled nursing is essential for seniors who experience health issues that need more attention than an at-home caregiver can provide. It also allows seniors to see what living in a senior community is like and can make the decision to move much easier when the time comes.
Join Baptist Retirement Community for Our Long-Term Nursing Care Facility
At Baptist Retirement Community, we welcome seniors of all activity levels looking for a beautiful senior living community to call their next home. Our community features independent and assisted living homes and apartments, along with short and long-term care facilities that can handle a wide range of medical and therapeutic care services. Our skilled nursing care programs are tailored to the individual and can adapt as their health changes.