Staying healthy is important at any age, and particularly during the golden years. However, it can be difficult to stay active as a senior, especially if you suffer from chronic pain, joint stiffness, or balance issues. Low-impact yoga for seniors is a great way to increase flexibility, build strength, and improve balance without putting too much strain on the body. Chair yoga is a type of low-impact yoga that can be done while seated in a chair or standing using a chair for support. It is ideal for seniors who may have trouble getting down on the floor or getting back up again.
Baptist Retirement Community understands how important it is for seniors to stay active and independent. Our recreational programs are designed to keep our residents stimulated and healthy in all ways. Call us at 325.313.7931 for more information about our programs for seniors.
What Is Chair Yoga?
Chair yoga is a form of yoga that can be done while seated in a chair or standing using a chair for support. It is an adaptation of traditional yoga poses and is suitable for people of all ages and levels of fitness. Chair yoga is often recommended for seniors or people with chronic pain, joint stiffness, or balance issues.
Benefits of Chair Yoga for Seniors
The benefits of chair yoga for seniors are numerous.
As a senior, doing chair yoga:
- Improves flexibility – Stretching is an important part of yoga. It helps to improve the range of motion in the joints and can help to prevent stiffness.
- Builds strength – While some traditional yoga poses can be quite challenging, chair yoga poses are designed to be accessible for people of all levels of fitness. By doing chair yoga regularly, seniors can build strength in their muscles and improve their balance.
- Improves balance – Balance is an important part of staying independent as we age. Chair yoga can help to improve balance and coordination by providing a gentle, low-impact way to challenge the muscles and improve proprioception (the body’s ability to know where it is in space).
- Reduces stress – All forms of yoga are known for their stress-reducing benefits. The deep breathing and relaxation techniques learned in chair yoga can help to lower blood pressure, improve sleep, and reduce anxiety.
- Increases energy – Chair yoga is a great way to increase circulation and get the blood flowing. The deep breathing involved in yoga can also help to increase the oxygenation of the blood, which can improve energy levels.
- Improves mental clarity – Chair yoga combines the physical benefits of yoga with the mental benefits. The focus on breath work and relaxation can help to clear the mind and improve concentration.
- Connects you with others – Joining a chair yoga class is a great way to socialize and meet new people. The supportive environment of a yoga class can also help to reduce stress and anxiety.
- Can be done anywhere – Chair yoga can be done in the comfort of your own home, in a yoga studio, or even in a chair at the office. All you need is a comfortable chair and some space to move.
Chair yoga is a great way for seniors to stay active and improve their overall health and well-being. If you are interested in trying chair yoga, we encourage you to speak with your doctor or a certified yoga instructor to find a class that is right for you.
Stay Active at Baptist Retirement Community
Baptist Retirement Community understands the importance of staying active at any age. We offer a variety of recreational programs to help our vibrant community remain healthy. For more information, contact us at 325.313.7931 today.