A recent study found that one in nine adults over the age of 65 has dementia.1 Dementia is a progressive disease that is treatable through a combination of medication and memory-enhancing activities. For seniors who show signs of this mental health illness, enrolling them in senior memory care is vital to slow the progression and improve their quality of life. Senior memory care services provide seniors with a safe and secure environment with less risk of getting lost or harming themselves due to confusion or disorientation.
At Baptist Retirement Community, our team of skilled nurses, therapists, and support staff have experience treating Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia through our senior memory care unit. When residents first arrive at our facility, we will evaluate their physical and mental health to develop a tailored treatment plan based on their unique symptoms and daily life skills. We have private and semi-private rooms available with daily life-enriching activities to improve our resident’s health and happiness. To learn more about our senior memory care services, fill out our online assessment or call us at 833.762.0756 to speak with one of our friendly staff.
Knowing When It’s Time for Senior Memory Care
Making the decision to move your parents into a senior memory care facility can be heartwrenching but imperative for their health and well-being. Seniors with dementia can begin forgetting appointments, going grocery shopping, or other basic responsibilities. If severe cases, they can forget to eat, care for themselves, or know when to go to the bathroom.
There is no cure for dementia, but there are several types of therapies and medications that can slow the effects. If you are concerned that your parents or elderly loved ones are showing signs of dementia, here are some of the common signs to look for:
- Changes in their behavior
- They disregard their personal hygiene
- Are often disoriented and confused
- Their caregiver is overwhelmed due to an increasingly fragile mental state
- You worry they are no longer safe being at home alone
At Baptist Retirement Community, we are a full-service senior living community with a comprehensive senior memory care program available for your parents or elderly loved ones. Our facility can handle all levels of dementia and provides residents with comfortable rooms with 24/7 support.
What Does Senior Memory Care Services Focus On?
Senior memory care offers a comprehensive range of therapies to address the physical and mental needs of each resident. Seniors will work with specialists who will build a close relationship with them and do everything they can to improve their memory and quality of life.
Here are the areas that senior memory care focuses on.
- Alzheimer’s and Dementia care – A skilled team of nurses and therapists work with each resident to ease their symptoms of dementia through medication management and other forms of treatment. They provide a safe and secure environment with set routines to reduce any stress or anxiety caused by their memory loss.
- Full-time therapy – Residents will receive physical, speech, and occupational therapy to restore any lost function and gain some of their independence. These types of therapy can improve their balance and coordination, speech, hand strength and dexterity, eating and swallowing, and other daily life activities.
- Skilled long-term nursing care – Skilled nurses will assist residents 24/7 with their daily living activities. They will assist them with bathing, grooming, going to the bathroom, and getting from one area to the next so they can enjoy all of the amenities the facility offers.
- Life-enrichment activities – Seniors will participate in various activities that can improve their memory. This can include activities such as looking at photo albums of family and friends to remember their faces, puzzles for spatial coordination, listening to favorite songs from their past, and other beneficial activities.
If your parents or elderly loved ones are showing signs of needing senior memory care services, the sooner you find a facility, the better. They get the care and attention they need and can put you at ease, knowing they are in the best place for their health.
Find Senior Memory Care Services at Baptist Retirement Community
At Baptist Retirement Community, our senior memory care unit in San Angelo, TX, is available for seniors who need cognitive care to improve their quality of life. In addition to full-time memory care, our residents have access to transportation services for medical appointments and an enclosed and secure courtyard to relax and socialize with family and other seniors. We also offer regular on-site memory care support groups for families of our residents.
To help your parents with dementia who need more care than you are able to provide, contact us at 833.762.0756 today to schedule a tour and meet with our knowledgeable staff.