There are many benefits of physical activity for seniors that can help improve the quality of their lives physically and mentally. Exercise is essential for seniors to prevent joints from tightening and muscle mass from deteriorating. A senior health and wellness program provides seniors with a wide range of physical and mental activities to help them enjoy a full and enriching retirement.
At Baptist Retirement Community, our staff of health and fitness experts and therapists help keep residents up and moving with a wide range of activities. Therefore, we encourage our residents to participate in activities that are appropriate for their level of health and mobility to improve their quality of life.
For more information about the benefits of physical activity for seniors, call 325.313.7931 today to speak with our friendly staff and schedule a tour to see how our senior living community can benefit your retirement.
Types of Physical Activities for Seniors
Physical exercise is important at any age, but especially so for seniors. As we age, we naturally slow down as our bodies take longer to heal and require more rest. The more inactive seniors are, the faster they will experience increasing aches and pains, reduced mobility, and significantly reduced quality of life.
Here are some of the best types of physical activities for seniors:
- Talking a brisk walk or hike
- Water aerobics
- Weight lifting
Baptist Retirement Community provides plenty of physical activities for active seniors and those with mobility issues. Our programs help residents understand the benefits of physical activity for older adults, and many times seniors find their health significantly improving after moving into our community.
Benefits of Exercise for Seniors
Older adults who begin an exercise program will find plenty of physical and mental benefits of exercise for seniors. Health and fitness experts and therapists work with residents to ensure they get enough exercise and perform them correctly to reduce sore muscles and injuries.
Just some of the benefits of exercise for seniors include:
- Exercise helps prevent disease. Physical exercise can help prevent heart disease, obesity, and diabetes. It improves your overall immune system and prevents many age-related issues from occurring.
- Exercise can improve your mental health. When you exercise, your body releases endorphins that help you feel good. It can also help reduce stress levels and improve your sleeping habits, which is very important for seniors.
- Reduces the risk of falling. Seniors face increasing balance issues as they age. Exercise is a great way to improve strength, flexibility, and joint movement., leading to an improvement in your balance and helping you avoid falling.
- Improves cognitive function. Physical activity increases the blood flow to your brain and can help keep you mentally focused. Physical activity can also slow dementia and other age-related mental declines.
- A chance to socialize. Exercising with a friend is always a good idea. It gives you someone to talk to while exercising and makes the experience more enjoyable. The more fun you have doing it, the more you will look forward to doing it again.
Join Baptist Retirement Community to Explore the Benefits of Physical Activity for Seniors
At Baptist Retirement Community, we understand that the more active seniors are and have something to look forward to each day, the more beneficial it is to their health. Our senior health and wellness programs focus on three components to improve the lives of our residents:
Our holistic approach is very beneficial and allows our residents to enjoy their golden years with continuing good health. To learn more about the benefits of physical activity for seniors, call 325.313.7931 today to schedule a tour and meet with our staff to discuss all of the benefits of our senior living community.