It is not uncommon for some seniors to regularly take two, three, or more medications to maintain a certain level of health. While these medications are safe to take when you follow the prescriptions, many seniors can make mistakes with their medications that can lead to serious consequences. There are many different medication problems with the elderly that can negatively impact their health, from taking the wrong pill to forgetting to refill prescriptions on time and many others.
At Baptist Retirement Community, our senior medication management program takes the worry of managing multiple prescriptions out of your hands and into those of a professional team. Our senior living community offers a full list of medical and therapeutic services, personalized services, and amenities that promote a healthy retirement. Seniors get the care and attention they need while socializing with friends in a comfortable and secure community. To discover the benefits of our medication management program and other services, call 325.313.7931 today to speak with our compassionate team.
What Is Elderly Medication Management?
Seniors today live longer, healthier lives thanks to medication and a better understanding of the importance of healthy eating and a physically and socially active lifestyle. Because there are so many different types of medications, some senior adults can end up needing to take four or five pills a day. The more medications you take, the bigger the risk of making mistakes or having negative drug interactions.
Elderly medication management is a beneficial program for seniors who are taking multiple prescriptions and cannot manage all of their pills and treatments properly. Medical staff will administer medications on time, ensure prescriptions are refilled, and check for any food or medical adverse reactions to new medications.
At Baptist Retirement Community, we are well aware of the common medication problems with the elderly and take care of administering medications on time and in the correct dosage. Seniors can stop worrying about when to take their next pill and concentrate on making the most of their golden years.
Common Medication Problems with the Elderly
Several medication issues with seniors can reduce their health and vitality. Adverse drug reactions are fairly common when seniors have multiple doctors prescribing medications. It is often up to senior adults or their families to check if certain drugs don’t mix well with others.
Here are some of the other common medication problems the elderly can face when managing their prescriptions:
- Wrong dosage – Medications come in different forms and dosage requirements. As seniors begin struggling with remembering what pills they need to take, they can take too much of one pill or completely forget to take another. This can lead to severe consequences, a rapid return of their symptoms, and a decline in their health.
- Adverse drug interactions – In some cases, certain drugs can negatively react with others, causing painful and sometimes dangerous side effects. Seniors who have multiple doctors prescribing medications run the risk of adverse drug interactions. These can include:
- A decrease in the effectiveness of the medication or an increase in the effects of the drug can cause a dangerous health condition
- Food interactions with medications – Most people do not think about what they eat or drink while taking prescribed medications. Certain foods can prevent the medicine from working. They can also alter the way it affects you and lead to a host of mild to serious issues.
- Taking the wrong prescription – One of the most common problems seniors face when taking multiple medications is taking the wrong pill. This can cause a double dose of one prescription. It can also result in missed medication.
These are just a few of the medication problems with the elderly that can impact their health and well-being. A medication management program can reduce these risks and allow them to enjoy a healthy and comfortable retirement.
Baptist Retirement Community: Senior Medication Management and Other Beneficial Programs
Baptist Retirement Community is a full-service senior living community that offers a wide range of services. Our team aims to reduce the common medication issues that seniors struggle with as they age. Each treatment plan is tailored to the individual and will adapt as their health changes.